Jingle your way to the most joyous time of year, when twinkling lights dance, laughter fills the air, and joy is the ultimate party guest! ‘It’s the season to throw a Christmas party that will leave a lasting impression and memories as sweet as sugar cookies. Welcome to our Christmas Party Ideas guide, which will transform your gathering into a winter wonderland of festive fun.
As the temperatures drop and the holiday spirit rises, now is the time to transform your home into a winter wonderland. Whether you’re throwing a small family gathering, a cozy get-together with friends, or a lavish extravaganza, our curated collection of Christmas party ideas is here to help.
But hold on, there’s more! Our blog is more than just a guide; it’s your virtual party planner, providing tips, tricks, and creative hacks to make your event stand out.
So, whether you want a rustic Christmas, a glamorous holiday extravaganza, or a laid-back gathering by the fire, get ready to be inspired this holiday season, because your party is more than just a celebration—it’s a festive masterpiece in the making. Don’t forget to check out our Christmas game & movie ideas.
Creative Christmas Party Ideas
Bring SantaCon to Your Home
BETSIE VAN DER MEER//GETTY IMAGES
SantaCon is an event in New York City where everyone dresses up as — you guessed it — Santa Claus! This one is for the adults, in which you parade around the city stopping at various pubs for a boozy drink. Turn rooms into different “pubs” and have guests visit each one for a new Christmas-inspired cocktail for a creative at-home version.
Fill Christmas Stockings
JOSE LUIS PELAEZ//GETTY IMAGES
Everyone enjoys a good stocking stuffer, especially when the gift is both cute and useful. Make a holiday stocking for each guest to fill with small treats and gifts, and ask everyone to bring a few gifts under $10 to exchange during the party. Your guests will each receive their own goodie bag!
Host a Christmas Luau Party
Mele Kalikimaka! Bring a tropical vibe to your gathering with fresh fruits and luau-style foods like pineapple, rice, roast pork and other tasty eats. Ask guests to wear Hawaiian shirts so they’re perfectly dressed for the occasion.
Throw a Grinch-mas Party
DANIEL KNIGHTON//GETTY IMAGES
It’s not Christmas unless you’ve seen The Grinch. Guests can dress up as their favorite Whoville resident or the Christmas-hating character, then spend the evening binge-watching every version of the classic holiday tale. Your heart will have grown three sizes by the end of the night!
Christmas Treats as Decor
RAY KACHATORIAN//GETTY IMAGES
Not all of the year’s holidays are dedicated to sweets! Disperse candies with holiday themes, such as chocolates and candy canes, all over the party area. Candy can also be used as décor. For easier picking, consider suspending some from the ceiling.
Wear Ugly Sweaters
Parties with ugly Christmas sweaters are a holiday tradition, and they’re even more enjoyable when everyone can help decorate them. Invite everyone to bring an old sweater to the gathering, and then provide pom-poms, glitter, buttons, felt, and other materials so they can craft their own wearable holiday creations all evening. At the end of the evening, don’t forget to hold a competition for the best sweater!
Start a Holiday Scavenger Hunt
YANA ISKAYEVA//GETTY IMAGES
Throughout your house, hide holiday decorations that were inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” (such as turtledoves and golden rings). The reward goes to the person who discovers the most “gifts”!
Arrange a Wine and Charcuterie Party
Light appetizers should be served to keep the meal simple and the conversation focused. Arrange a simple grazing table with crackers, cheese, meats, and other delectable fruits.
Organize a Winter Wonderland Party
R FRANCA / EYEEM//GETTY IMAGES
Enjoy a day of snowman building and sledding while taking in the beauty of the outdoors. When the guests have finished playing outside, serve them hot chocolate with marshmallows!
Host an Elf on the Shelf Party
Elf on the Shelf One well-liked Christmas tradition is the “Elf on the Shelf.” This year, conceal elves throughout your house, hiding them in every nook, cranny, and strange place so that overnight visitors can discover them.
Christmas Give-Back Party
DANIEL BALAKOV//GETTY IMAGES
Invite your friends over for a care package party to help those in need. Add some adorable and useful devices to your bag along with toiletries and other necessities.
Gingerbread House Decorating Party
From Kara’s Party Ideas
Hot Chocolate Bar & Holiday Cookie Party
From Kevin and Amanda
Grinch Christmas Party
From Chic and Jo
Merry Christmas Party
From Kara’s Party Ideas
Penguin Christmas Party
From Frog Prince Paperie
Merry Grinchmas Party
From Catch My Party
DIY Clay Words
From Oh Happy Day
Silver and White Christmas Party
Hershey’s Christmas Trees
Paper Snowflakes Hanging from Ceiling
From I Heart Organizing
Creative Christmas Party Ideas
1. Santa’s Workshop Craft Corner: Set up a crafting station where guests can channel their inner elves and create personalized ornaments or handmade gifts.
2. Ugly Sweater Karaoke Extravaganza: Combine the hilarity of ugly sweaters with the joy of karaoke for a night of laughter, music, and questionable fashion choices.
3. Gingerbread House Decorating Contest: Let the architectural creativity flow as guests compete to build the most impressive gingerbread house. Bonus points for structural integrity!
4. Holiday Movie Marathon Under the Stars: Transform your backyard into a cozy outdoor cinema, complete with blankets, hot cocoa, and all the classic Christmas movies.
5. DIY Hot Chocolate Bar: Elevate the hot cocoa experience by setting up a bar with an array of toppings, from marshmallows to crushed peppermint.
6. Snowball Fight Zone: If you’re lucky enough to have a white Christmas, take the festivities outside with a friendly snowball fight. Don’t forget to warm up with some cocoa afterward!
7. Reindeer Games Olympics: Host a series of reindeer-inspired games, from “Rudolph’s Ring Toss” to “Dasher’s Dash,” and crown the ultimate holiday champion.
8. Twinkling Lights Scavenger Hunt: Hide twinkling fairy lights throughout your space and challenge guests to find them all. It’s a scavenger hunt that adds a magical glow to the celebration.
9. DIY Ornament Exchange: Ask each guest to bring a handmade ornament and exchange them, creating a tree adorned with memories from everyone present.
10. Caroling Caravan: Take the festivities to the streets with a caroling caravan. Load up cars with singers and travel through the neighborhood spreading joy.
11. Fireside Storytelling: Gather around the fireplace for a cozy storytelling session. Encourage guests to share their favorite holiday memories or traditions.
12. Festive Photo Booth Extravaganza: Set up a photo booth with props that go beyond the usual Santa hats. Think elf ears, Grinch noses, and maybe even a life-sized nutcracker.
13. Cookie Decorating Showdown: Provide an array of cookies, icing, and decorations, and let guests unleash their inner pastry chefs in a friendly decorating competition.
14. Mistletoe Mystery Mixer: Encourage mingling by placing mistletoe in unexpected spots and watch the sparks fly as guests discover the holiday surprise.
15. Pajama Potluck Dinner: Invite guests to come in their coziest pajamas and bring a dish to share. It’s a relaxed and delicious way to celebrate the season.
16. Nutcracker Ballet Dance-Off: Set the stage for a mini Nutcracker ballet, complete with costumes and a dance-off. It’s a fun way to add elegance and whimsy to your celebration.
17. DIY Advent Calendar Countdown: Create a larger-than-life advent calendar with surprise activities or treats behind each door, building anticipation throughout the holiday season.
18. Letters to Santa Station: Set up a cozy corner for guests to write heartfelt letters to Santa. You can even provide stamped envelopes to send them off to the North Pole.
19. Candy Cane Hunt: Hide candy canes throughout your space for a sweet twist on the traditional Easter egg hunt. The person with the most candy canes wins a festive prize.
20. Wintery Wine Tasting: Elevate your wine game by hosting a winter-themed wine tasting with mulled wine, seasonal blends, and perfectly paired appetizers.
21. Christmas Charades Championship: Get everyone involved in the holiday fun with a Christmas-themed charades competition. Bonus points for creativity and dramatic flair!
22. DIY Wreath-Making Station: Provide guests with an array of materials to craft their own unique holiday wreaths. It’s a beautiful way to bring a touch of the season home.
23. Holiday Book Exchange: Encourage the love of reading by hosting a holiday book exchange. Guests can bring their favorite festive reads and swap them with fellow bookworms.
24. Starry Night Sky Lantern Release: If weather permits, release biodegradable sky lanterns into the night sky, creating a mesmerizing display of floating stars.
25. Stocking Surprise Scramble: Fill stockings with small surprises and hide them around the venue. Guests can then embark on a scavenger hunt to find their personalized stocking.
26. Polar Express Pajama Party: Transform your living room into the Polar Express, complete with train tickets, cozy pajamas, and a screening of the classic movie.
27. Jingle Bell Jam Session: Set up a musical corner with jingle bells and other festive instruments. Encourage impromptu jam sessions and create your own holiday soundtrack.
28. Festive Face Painting Booth: Hire a face painter to turn your guests into living works of art with holiday-themed face paintings. It’s a fun and interactive way to embrace the Christmas spirit.
29. Ice Sculpture Contest: For those in colder climates, challenge guests to a friendly ice sculpture contest. It’s a unique way to bring artistry to the winter season.
30. Gratitude Tree Reflections: Provide guests with tags to write down what they’re grateful for during the holiday season. Hang these tags on a “gratitude tree” as a beautiful reminder of the spirit of the season.
31. S’mores and Stories Bonfire: If you have outdoor space, set up a bonfire for a cozy evening of s’mores, hot cocoa, and sharing heartwarming stories around the fire.
32. Santa’s Beard Relay Race: Divide guests into teams and equip them with cotton balls and Vaseline. The challenge? Transform one team member into Santa by sticking the cotton balls to their Vaseline-covered face – blindfolded!
33. Festive Fortune Telling: Hire a tarot card reader or create DIY holiday-themed fortune-telling stations. It adds a touch of mystique to your party and sparks interesting conversations.
34. Christmas Tree Trivia Tournament: Test your guests’ knowledge with a Christmas tree-themed trivia night. Create teams and see who emerges as the ultimate yuletide trivia champion.
35. Elf Obstacle Course: Design an obstacle course inspired by the mischievous antics of Santa’s little helpers. It’s a hilarious and active way to keep the energy high.
36. Holiday Potpourri Station: Engage the senses by setting up a potpourri-making station with an array of aromatic spices and dried fruits. Guests can create their own personalized holiday scents to take home.
37. Snow Globe Photo Booth: Transform your photo booth into a winter wonderland by incorporating snow globe props and backdrops. Capture the magic with unforgettable snapshots.
38. Festive Food Truck Frenzy: Elevate your party with a food truck experience featuring festive treats. From holiday-inspired tacos to Christmas crepes, let your guests savor the season’s flavors.
39. Yule Log Cake Decorating Contest: Provide plain yule log cakes and a plethora of decorations. Let the artistic talents of your guests shine as they compete to create the most visually stunning yule log.
40. Puzzling Present Exchange: Wrap gifts in layers of puzzle pieces, and as guests unwrap, they must collaborate to solve the puzzle to reveal the final gift. It adds an extra element of fun to the traditional gift exchange.
41. Nutcracker Ballet Trivia: Host a trivia game focused on the classic Nutcracker ballet. It’s a delightful way to celebrate the arts and add a touch of sophistication to your gathering.
42. Wacky Winter Hat Parade: Encourage guests to don their most eccentric winter hats and parade around the venue. Award prizes for the silliest, most creative, and festive headpieces.
43. Holiday Mixology Class: Bring in a mixologist to teach guests how to craft festive cocktails. It’s a hands-on experience that adds a spirited twist to your Christmas celebration.
44. Present Wrapping Relay Race: Turn the typically mundane task of gift wrapping into a lively competition. Teams race against the clock to wrap and decorate presents in the most imaginative way.
45. Merry Memory Lane Photo Wall: Create a photo wall showcasing memories from past holidays. Ask guests to bring their favorite festive photos to contribute to the heartwarming display.
46. Hanukkah Hide-and-Seek Dreidel Hunt: For a multicultural celebration, incorporate Hanukkah traditions with a dreidel hide-and-seek game. It’s a joyful way to embrace diversity during the holiday season.
47. Christmas Carol Pictionary: Combine the classic game of Pictionary with beloved Christmas carols. Can your guests guess the song based on your artistic talents?
48. Whimsical Winter Fashion Show: Host a fashion show featuring winter-themed outfits. From cozy sweaters to glamorous holiday attire, let your guests strut their seasonal style.
49. DIY Snow Globe Workshop: Provide materials for guests to create their own personalized snow globes. It’s a delightful and memorable party favor that captures the enchantment of the season.
50. Grand Finale Fireworks Display: End your Christmas party with a bang by organizing a dazzling fireworks display. It’s the perfect way to illuminate the night sky and create a grand finale for a truly magical celebration.